[Dailydrool] Is my buppy growing too fast? Advice, please!

Ruth Mayberry ram.berry at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 5 06:15:07 PST 2009

we dont nose anyfing bout dat....
but sen mor pitchurs pleeze!
dat wonz not gud enuf fur us to
see he too cleer!

ruth (sneaky way to see more hound pictures)
& huckleberry (hey! me only gitz two cups a day and me weighz
more an me mutch oweder!)

  Hello all - I am a buppy slave to a gorgeous five month old Baloo.  I continue to get comments on how big he is - people who haven't seen him for a week or two are stunned when they see him, and even his breeder, upon seeing his latest photo, commented "WHAT did you do with the puppy I gave you in November?!"  At five months, Baloo is nearly 50 lbs and is a tall boy - bear in mind he does not have an ounce of "buppy fat" on him, he's a solid muscle.  His paws are enormous - larger than one of his 95 lb Labrador playmates, and according to his breeder, nearly as large as his daddy's.

  Baloo's daddy is a 70 lb muscular dog.  Baloo eats a total of four cups of Purina One Large Breed Puppy Formula daily, two in the morning, two in the evening.  He gets a standard kitchen tablespoon full of cottage cheese daily for extra protein, and about four cookies spread throughout the day.

  This is my first Basset, and my concern with his growth rate is that it will negatively impact his joints/ back.  He's perfectly sound, and like any Basset, would happily eat as much as I'd give him.  He plays a LOT, very active buppy that plays happily with dogs twice his size on a nearly daily basis.  He also takes his share of power naps.

  Any input is welcome!

  Ahroo to all,
  Lisa and Baloo.