[Dailydrool] A BIT OF DROOL Please & other things

JACQIE MARVICH oakrydgebh7 at msn.com
Thu Mar 12 12:08:53 PDT 2009

Hi everyone- Although it has been a very busy time of year here I've tried to keep up on reading drools and have cried and prayed along with everyone else. Much drool flows from the jowels of the 17 hounds here to all of you in need. We are so very sorry to hear about all the trips to the bridge lately and hope that the traffic slows a bit for a while to give those broken hearts time to mend.

Like Rebec bassets, we have quite a number of senior hounds here. The youngest two are littermaltes and twill be 8 years old in May. The others are 9, 10, 11 and 12. So far all are doing well and are healthy. Ceilia needs to go in for a dental and that will be taken care of shortly. Bliss, age 11 is having trouble seeing where she's going as all the loose skin on her head falls over her eyes when she puts her head down to sniffy her way along ever so S_L_O_W_L_Y. She has spondylosis but it doesn't stop her from being in charge. Other than that she is doing fine and has a spa day coming up soon which she thouroughly enjoys.

I do want to ask for a tiny bit of drool to help Ranger who doesn't want to eat. Ranger decided to take on his mother and she beat the crap out of him. Although there were no injuries, he was been a very sore boy and has been keeping a low profile since. He has been on rimadyl for the soreness and I'm giving him probiotics to get his tummy to work but he still isn't interested in eating any food. He is drinking plenty of water and has stopped grazing when he goes outside but I can't seem to get him to eat anything. Not even his favorite cookies. This morning I littlerally force fed him some soaked kibble and canned meat to put something in his tummy hoping to jumpstart his tummy. If he won't eat tonight, it's back to the vet tomorrow to see if there's anything else we can do. He wags his tail and follows me around and other than not wanting to eat, seems fine. So I thought maybe a little "out of town" drool might help.
I'm making them a stew for tonight hoping that will inspire his hunger. Any suggestions would be welcome too. In over 30 years of being a basset slave, I've never had a basset go a whole week without eating at least a treat or two.

Sorry this is so long but I'm not sure when I'll get another break in the action to post again anytime soon.

Two of my pygmy does have freshened and as always the kids are too cute and I'm spending a lot of time in the barn with them. One doe had triplets and delivered them quite early. A buck and two little does. They are doing fine now but one is a bottle baby so that keeps me busy as well. They will be three weeks old tomorrow. Day before yesterday, another one of my does had twins, a buckling and a doeling who are doing great so far. I have one other doe due anytime and I'm hoping she will have her kids before Dazzle goes into labor and whelps her first litter. Dazzle is due between the 14th and 18th. Yes, you read that right, we have a litter of basset buppies due in the next week. We are very excited about this litter. It is Dazzle's first litter and NORman's second. We are hoping all goes well and mom has an easy time delivering them.  I'll be sure to post when they arrive and will be taking pictures of all the babies to send to anyone wanting to see them.

Soon to be in a zombie like state of mind-

Jacqie Marvich
Oakrydge Bassets