[Dailydrool] annual exams/ leptospirosis

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 18:39:48 PDT 2009

Dr Blatz'z opinions aside,here are a few things you may want to know about
Leptospirosis before you decide not to vaccinate for it:
"Leptospirosis is a contagious disease of animals, including man, caused by
various immunologically distict serovars...
various signs, including fever, icterus, hemoglobinuria, renal failure,
infertility, abortion and even death...leptospires frequently localize in
the kidneys or reproductive organs and are shed in the urine for months or
sometimes years. Because the organisms survive in surface waters for
extended periods, the disease is often waterbourne.
      "Infection is commonly acquired by contact of skin or mucous membranes
with urine and, to a lesser extent, by intake of urine contaminated feed or
water. Infections can be readily established vis the conjunctiva,vaginal
mucosa, or skin abrasions..."

"Man is susceptible to all pathogenic serovars found in domestic animals,
and transmission fromwildlife generall occurs when contact is made with
tissues of  infected animals or surface waters contaminated by urine from
infected animals....In people, as in other animals the disease varies from
inapparent to severe and can be fatal when renal or hepatic failure
occurs....Animal owners should be informed of the potential zoonotic risk of
leptospirosis."

Merck Veterinary Manual: Ed 8, pgs 474-475

If you live in an area or have a yard where you have raccoons, possums,
squirrels or rats you may want to consider the above rather seriously. This
is not a harmless disease. It isn't kennel cough or something that is going
to go away overnight. It can affect YOU, your family- your children. If you
are pregnant you may abort. If you are breeding dogs, your dogs will not be
able to be bred. Your Houndies are at risk for renal failure, liver failure,
and becoming a risk to your other pets as well as yourself.
There are a number of things your Veterinarian can do to prevent reactions
to vaccines. You certainly are under no obligation to vaccinate for
anything, but I think everyone should be aware of the risks involved in
ignoring this disease.

We have raccoons, possums, squirrels going through our yard on a regular
basis. The rain has made the ground wet and soggy and there are pools of
water everywhere. I cannot tell whether some infected squirrel has urinated
in my yard, but I am not taking any chances anyway. My dogs are vaccinated.
All of them, always.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, and Cooper