[Dailydrool] Surgeries for old guys

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 13 04:45:39 PDT 2009

It is so hard to make decisions for our hounds-a huge responsibility.  We just decided not to put 14 year old Charles through a third butt surgery.  He had one at age 10 and another at 11.5 - they were both peri-anal adenomas and were benign.  So now there is a 3rd butt lump and I just do not want to put him through the surgery and the risk of anesthesia.  The recoups were bad - it was painful and took forever.  Now there is a huge note in his file at the vet that if he has any kind of emergency or is knocked out for some other reason then - get that butt lump!  But we won't do the surgery just for a probable benign growth.

So my advice for a 13.5 year old is to give her the best life in the time she has left and not do the surgery - a terribly hard decision to  make but we have just made a similar one.  I used to have a doggy daycare center and one of our clients - a GSD - had a splenectomy and died several days later.  The owners wished they had not put him through the surgery, which is a tough one, but rather enjoyed the time he had left and fed him all his favorite things and enjoyed some more beach walks and car drives with the windows down.

On a related note - how long are these drooling lovers living?  I used to think 10 year olds were way over the hill but it seems to be just the cusp!  My 14 year old has the bloodwork, heart and lungs of a 10 year old and seems like he will go on forever.  Anyone have healthy dogs over 14?  15?  Bassets, that is.  I fully expect my dachshund to live 20 years and make us all crazy for the next 11!

GinnyTata-Phillips, co-author of DOGKU, PETKU and the all Bassets all the time BASSETKU!

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me