[Dailydrool] annual exams/Lepto

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Fri Mar 13 07:51:07 PDT 2009

Dr Blatz'z opinions aside,here are a few things you may want to know about
Leptospirosis before you decide not to vaccinate for it:
MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, and Cooper

I'm sorry you felt the need for sarcasam.
 I was giving the opinion of the very respected Dr. Schultz after I  recently attended one of his Vaccination/Canine Disease Seminars.  I have Dachshunds as well as Bassets.   I have read on this list that a number of other people have  Dachshunds especially Mini's.  Dr. Schultz specifically mentioned small dogs, especially, mini Dachshunds NOT to get the Lepto unless you are in an area virilant with the disease and with the strain that the Lepto vaccine covers.
I felt it would be helpful to small dog owners (or any owner for that matter) to know that the negative side effects to the vaccine can last for years while the positive effects to the few strains the vaccine protects against only last 9 months or so.

Each of us need to weigh benefits vs risk but we can't do that if we don't have all the information.  Vets accross the country tell people their dogs need the core vaccines (parvo, distempter etc) every year, and that just is not true.    Challenge studies have shown repeatidly that protection last a minumum of 3 years and in most dogs 7 years +.

Why continue to assult the immune system needlessly, you are not giving the dog more protection.  And are probably damaging the dog's ability to fight other issues.

You may want to vaccinate for all things every year.  That is your choice.   Others may want a more natural holistic and safe approach.

Education is key.

After 20 + years of dogs running through squirrel pee'd yards, dog shows, field trial, earth dog dens etc ,  I have never had a minimally vaccinated dog (my dogs do not get vaccinated after their year booster, other then required rabies, and a single distemper at 5 ) come down with any disease.  Yet the 1 time 1 dog mistakenly got the L in her year booster she got a near death reaction.(Dachshund).

I have not been vaccinated since I was a child 50+ years ago.  Have you?   Why should we accept that a dog vaccine offers less protection?

Cathy Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com
http://www.geocities.com/clubbasset/index.html
http://www.dachshund-wpdc.org/