[Dailydrool] mulch eating

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 12:56:18 PDT 2009

A third choice: Buy an airhorn or something that makes a loud, startling,
sudden noise when YOU want it to.
Warn your neighbors.
Have someone in the house at a window or something watching the dog and you
go out with him. Take some treats. Don't say a word. When he gets NEAR the
mulch, have the person in the house set off the airhorn, just one quick
blast. As the dog moves AWAYfrom the mulch,praise and give him a treat.
Repeat. Repeat.
Be 100% consistent: If the dog goes near the mulch, blow the horn.
My guess is it will take about a day and a half. One to teach him that
something very aversive happens when he goes near the mulch and something
nice happens when he goes away from it, and another half day to remind him.
You may have to repeat it periodically. I would rather try that then send a
dog out with a muzzle. He may well be able to force mulch through a basket
muzzle, anyway.