[Dailydrool] Asthma Inhalers

Emily W. Dodd emily0608 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 13:10:04 PDT 2009

Our Sally monster is spending the night with the Doctor Lady tonight
-- her first night away from us since she adopted us in August. The
house is so quiet without her!

This morning she got into my husband's albuterol asthma inhaler,
punctured it, and ingested the medicine in a nearly full container.
After a few hours her heart was racing and her breathing was heavy and
she was all around lethargic and weak so we took her down to the vet.
She's there getting IV fluids, drugs to slow her heart rate, and IV
potassium to keep her levels up. Her heart rate was 260!!!!

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Please round up all your medicines and lock them up! High counters
obviously do nothing to dissuade these crazy pups ... I just can't
understand why she went for the inhaler instead of the pan of brownies
on the kitchen counter.

In any case, please keep our Sal Pal in your thoughts and if you could
sling a little drool her way we'd appreciate it.

Emily, mom to SallyBeansMonsterFace from Ecuador