[Dailydrool] cherry eye

Renee Kummerer msbbeabear at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 21:24:09 PDT 2009

I wanted to tell everyone that Lambchop has had a cherry eye since she was young.  It was tacked down twice and returned. Our vet said it was simply cosmetic and we opted not to put her under again so at 9 yrs of age, she still has it.  Our vet was treating her eyes with cyclosporin to keep the eyes from getting dry.  But I had to keep cleaning her eyes and flushing them out because so much mucous would collect that she couldn't see.  It was awful.  She was very timid and careful where she walked and when she saw another dog or something she was not sure of she shyed away.  It drove me nuts.  I just thought it was her personality.  Then I decided this past week to take her to another vet for his opinion as to what we should do.  He saw her on Wednesday and said the cherry eye could be tacked down again with the results unsure.  To do nothing would also be an option.  But then he suggested a newer eye drop to use and one that was well 14.00 cheaper.  So I said I would try it for a month and see what it did.  Well, it has cleared up her eyes in just 4 days.  I am amazed.  She is doing things more freely than she ever did and playing with the other dogs and joining right in.   I know it was not her, but her eyes must have bothered her so much that she didn't know what to do.  The name of her eye drops are  Tacrolimus0.02%.  The drops really worked for us.
Renee