[Dailydrool] Red & Scratchy!

Volger, Melissa mvolger at newhall.k12.ca.us
Mon Mar 16 12:57:38 PDT 2009

Hi Fellow Droolers,

My 7 year old Basil has allergies.  We have had him tested and he is
allergic to soy, corn and just about everything in the great outdoors,
including grass, weeds, trees, mold, etc.    We take him to the vet
every 3 to 4 months for a shot.  We tried the do it yourself shots for a
year and he was still scratching like mad and miserable so we stopped.
As for his diet, I have cut out everything on the list that he is
allergic to.   His shot is obviously wearing off now because his armpits
are cherry red and he licks and scratches them constantly.  I am
extremely frustrated and don't know where to turn.  Our vet wants us to
last batch with tests cost over $900.00 and that is just not feasible
right now.  The shots that he administers have side effects and may have
long term effects.  It kills me to see Basil this way yet I don't know
if I want to start this vicious cycle yet again.  Has anyone been
through this and found a treatment that actually works?  If so, please
let me know what you did.

Thank you as always for your wealth of knowledge!

Melissa
Slave to the scratchy Basil and his perfect sister Lucy (who has never
had allergies thankfully)

Melissa Volger
Office Manager
Valencia Valley Elementary School