[Dailydrool] allergy solution

Muriel Fiona Napier allears at rogers.com
Mon Mar 16 16:29:44 PDT 2009

"I tried enough foods to circle the globe, but to no avail.  I tried all
kinds of dietary supplements and just about anything else that came down the
pike.  I spent a fortune trying to make her better.  The prednisone is the
only thing ..."

This describes Bonnie, the elder of my two (she'll be 9 in May), to a T.
Over the years, we've done the testing (if it grows in the great outdoors,
she's allergic to it), tried the shots (made everything ten times worse),
switched food (now on Natural Balance Duck and Potato, and doing ok), and
tried, tried, tried, to avoid the Prednisone.

The only thing that stops her driving herself (and me) crazy, and scratching
herself raw, is regular low-dose pred. The vet and I have discussed this at
length, and she's happy to leave the dosing to me ... right now Bonnie's on
5 mg every other day, which keeps things in check. Once the real growing
season starts in May or so (we're in Canada!) that may well change. Last
year we got through the summer on 2.5 mg a day.

I buy the pred from my local pharmacy (*very* much cheaper than my vet) and
recently had an interesting discussion with the owner/pharmacist about it
being better for people to take "regular" doses of pred on an every other
day schedule. He obviously couldn't say if this was true for animals;
another question for my vet next time I see her.

Muriel Fiona Napier
t: 519.362.1275
pui me amat, amat et canems meum