[Dailydrool] Allergy Solution

Diane Surman diane512 at ptd.net
Mon Mar 16 15:15:29 PDT 2009

Hi,
I have a Basset that will be 10 next month that has been plagued with
allergies all her life. I went through all the testing to find out she was
pretty much allergic to everything on the planet earth as well as slightly
allergic to some foods like rice.  I decided to give her allergy shots. I
only did it for 6 months because it actually mad her worse and while getting
the shots she had to go on a low dose of prednisone daily.  I was trying to
avoid giving her prednisone because of the side affects.  Since the only
thing that truly helped her was a lose dose of prednisone, I decided to cave
in and give it to her each and every day. She gets 2.5 mg each day.

I tried enough foods to circle the globe, but to no avail.  I tried all
kinds of dietary supplements and just about anything else that came down the
pike.  I spent a fortune trying to make her better.  The prednisone is the
only thing that has worked.  It doesn't make her look a whole lot better,
she still looks red, but she doesn't scratch. Since quality of life is the
most important thing to me, I am happy now that she is not miserable
scratching anymore.

As far as the cost goes, I get 60 .5 mg pills and break them in half. This
supply lasts me 120 days and I pay my vet $19. I'm pretty sure I could get
them a whole lot cheaper at Walmart, but so far, I have chosen to pay the
higher price at my vet.

Hope this is helpful. Any additonal info needed, just ask.

Diane