[Dailydrool] allergy thread

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:54:07 PDT 2009

Dear allergy suffers,
I have never had an allergy sufferer until Pierre, who will be 7 in Sept.  I first took note of his allergies when he was about 1 and 1/2 years old.  He had allergy testing, and did shots for about 4 years, but it really did not seem to help.  He was on prednisone, hydroxyzine, and then temaril-p.  I guess he had the most relief with alternating days of pred., but this January, Pierre suffered a very bad reaction to his 5-in-one shot that may or may not have been related to his use of prednisone.  He was in the hospital for 3 1/2 days, and his liver was crashing.  He is in healthy recovery now, but has other problems, i.e. arthritis, but for the most part is in pretty good shape.  He is getting hydroxyzine again, but no prednisone, and he is very itchy.  We tried all the food solutions, but didn't help.  So what I do now is wipe him down daily with moisturizing wipes, and sometimes I pre-treat the wipes with a squirt of malesab spray, and if he has a particular hot spot I treat it with either animax or blue ear treatment.  I  try to keep him powdered with gold bond medicated, and I massage and massage and massage him as many hours that the day will allow.  I am going to try to increase his bath frequency, but he really hates a bath, so to do a medicated one is a challenge.  I have some holistic products to try, but not until he is off the liver healing medications.  If I find a miracle, I will certainly share, but I know the trial of healing an allergy dog.  It is a challenge, and it is so worth it to keep trying.  Pierre is the sweetest, most sociable dog I have ever had, and he is really worth the effort.  I would make the effort for a cranky dog too, but my heart belongs to Poppy (Pierre's nickname).
God Bless and healing drool to all,
Jackie and the herd