[Dailydrool] euthanasia and big bills

Georgia Powers georgiapowers at comcast.net
Mon Mar 16 17:30:24 PDT 2009

Hi-- I just had to comment about the euthanasia and money post. I
would love to have  had a vet like yours. I have unfortunately had to
euthanize 3 beloved pets and the charges ranged from about $180-280.
These were for two cats and one dog. My fourth euthanasia was for a
gerbil who was having severe dental problems and could no longer eat.
The vet ( the same one our cat and dog went to) agreed with me  that
the most humane thing to do was euthanize the little creature, rather
than have him starve to death. You can imagine my horror when I was
presented with a $280.00 bill for the euthanasia! I dreaded the
explanation I would have to give to my incredulous husband when he saw
the credit card bill. I still don't regret putting the gerbil out of
its misery, but that ranks up there with my most extreme expenditures
for our pets. There was of course the $185.00 charge for the same
gerbil at an exotic vet clinic about 6 months earlier to trim his
teeth--they put him under for the trim.  This was one pricey gerbil!!!
Georgia and Eugene.