[Dailydrool] euthanasia and big bills

PM CLINE pmcline at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 16 19:27:47 PDT 2009

I just came into the middle of this post about exorbitant charges for euthanasia.  I have to say I was in shock.

We took our sweet Popeye (chihuahua mix) and Heidi (doberman) to the same vet.We've used this vet for 39 years now.  He is an older gentleman who primarily concentrated on farm animals until his older years but he did also do pet care over the years, he just preferred large animals. He euthanized both of our animals, 12 years apart and both time the charge was the same amount.

He was kind and compassionate, listened to us, allowed us to cry and talk to our pet,  monitored their vitals, treated the dogs with such kindness  and allowed us with them the whole time until the end. He charged us $12 for each dog.  Now isn't that amazing?  The same drugs with the same outcome for the animals that you've described but at a decent cost that didn't make the difficult time even worse.

How can a vet treat people like that? That is gouging- plain and simple. Taking advantage of a sad, necessary situation when the person has no choice.  Now I do realize that our vet is absolutely a relic from the past but in a great way! Yes, he is low tech but he treats the dogs with the same medicines as the younger, higher priced vets. He no longer does surgeries and has very limited hours-he had a heart attack several years ago. And if he needs help he doesn't hesitate to refer the animal to a more high-tech clinic for harder diagnoses. We will continue to go to him until he closes his doors. We love him and  I hope he never retires. They just don't make vets like him any more and it is a shame for all of us.

I need to add one more thing, he is amazing to watch work.  He never muzzles an animal, if it growls or rumbles at him he just continues to work, speaking slowly and  quietly and moving gently and assuredly. We had to take Popeye to another vet when Doc Inscoe was on vacation once. They muzzled him almost immediately [Popeye had an attitude]. Never, ever did Dr Inscoe even mention using a muzzle on that little dog. He just had a way of communicating and handling animals that let them know who was boss.

That's all now...I just had to add my 2 cents worth.