[Dailydrool] Allergies

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Mon Mar 16 17:57:28 PDT 2009

Our Chester has allergies Big Time.  He also has no tear duct function, so has to have tons of eye drops,
lubricants, etc.  We did not have him tested, as our vet was really not excited about and thought it was
inconclusive and not worth the money (Still wondering if that is true, but--)
We give him something called HydroOXYzine Pamoate. 100 capsules for $27.00. (the OXY is in capitals) Can have them every 8 hours. I think it is kind of a doggie benedryl.
We also tried Atopica, which is an immunosuppressant.
It is expensive ($130 a month). It did work, but it is kind of like Prednisone and pretty expensive, so I
was not excited about it. Last year, from October to May, Chester miraculously had NO allergy symptoms. (We just adopted him in June of that year--he is 7)
As soon as there was snow on the ground, his symptoms cleared up and he was off ALL allegery
medication for the winter. This year, I was hoping for the same--but for some reason, his allergies this
winter have been terrible. No change in anything in the house, same snow on the ground, so I have no idea. (This is part of the  reason my vet doesn't think the testing is worth it). I also have some Prednisone that I give him 1/2 a tab every once in awhile if he is really bad.  From what I have read, long term use is bad and if they become accustomed to it, you need to get them off gradually. A good friend's mother was on Pred for 20 years and died when they were trying to wean her off it, so I am scared of it.  I paid for the Atopica and he was getting it--then we had a foster dog with kennel cough and Chester got really, really sick. I would try the OXY stuff, but if need be, probably pred in low doses and as little as possible. My personal feelings are that a shorter, non-itching life may be better than a longer one when he is not comfortable. Chester can be pretty .miserable.

Marilyn Briggs