[Dailydrool] Nick to the Bridge 3/9/2009

wendy kearney kearney200 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 17 17:13:25 PDT 2009

     I had hoped this day would never come but, of course, it always does eventually.

     Last week my Nick made his way to the Bridge leaving a very sad mom and his sister, Nora. It was just a month short of his 13th birthday.
     We have had the two since they were 3 months old. The breeder decided they should not be separated because Nick was the shy one, afraid of his own shadow. He was a real sweetheart with the best disposition, a tail that never stopped wagging and a deep, melodious ahroooo, lots of wrinkles and a huge supply of drool.
     Nick wasn't blessed with the best genes for good health, but somehow with prayers, drool, a wonderful vet and maybe his own stubbornness, we fought many battles successfully. I can recall 9 surgeries and many in-betweens. The worst was his being diagnosed with glaucoma at 4 and becoming blind by the time he was 5. Droolers were so supportive and encouraging and gave me lots of information.
     Perhaps due to his laid-back nature Nick seemed to accept his blindness with resignation. Things that scared him before no longer bothered him. A year later Nora was diagnosed with glaucoma. She had been the lively one, the leader and now Nick took over the role.
     It is hard to tell what a dog is feeling if you can't look into their eyes. You have to rely on their body language and your gut feeling. Despite so many adversities I believe Nick was happy. I hope so. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but I knew it was time to let him go, so that he could be young and healthy again, to run and play; his wobbly legs strong and his sight restored. The dadslave would be there to greet him.
     Our candle is burning brightly for my sweet loveable boy and he will remain in our hearts always.

Wendy K. and Nora (where's my brother?)