[Dailydrool] Sweet potato/yammy treets

Drew McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed Mar 18 11:09:05 PDT 2009

After looking in the archives and not finding this, I checked out my
computer. Here is an original post that gives the recipe. But I have never
tried them because I was not sure exactly how to place the treats. If Houndy
2 is still around, maybe she can clarify?
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:34:02 ESTFrom: Houndy2 at aol.comSubject:
[Dailydrool] Sharing Simone's Secret Rescue Treet Recipe With        DDTo:
dailydrool at proctorhome.net Simone's Yammy Treets Aunty Sandy first gave us
good advice about making these. Here is the BEST SECRET: The trick is to
just DO IT...MAKE THEM that's all. Just make em and you will be amazed! Just
make em! You won't be sorry the hounds will LOVE them and you will find it
is wayyy easy. All dogs need a good  healthy treet. Especially Rescue
Dogs..so this is what we do here for making home made dog treets: We buy a
big sack of Yams/Sweet Potatoes at Costco Heat your oven to 350 and then
slice up the vegetables (we do ALLLL  vegetables celery root, beets,
potatoes carrots now not just Yams) into  whatever shapes you please..up to
about 1/4 in width)  If I feel strong I just cut the Yams into LONG
slices..takes more muscle  power and a bit more care so that you don't cut
YOURSELF...lol but the dogs just  LOVE a HUGE "Yammy Chip" as we call em.
Lay the coins or slices all around  the pan and tip them up on the lip of
the heavy baking sheet. (we have usedwire  racks but that takes longer to
set them in as they sometimes "fall through" the  rack..and setting them on
their sides into the rack ALSO takes too  long... if you just simply tip up
the slices sort of on the lip and just a  tiny bit over as in a
fan...leaving as much surface to the air as  possible. Fill a couple of
heavy baking sheets with the vegetable slices. Turn  down the oven to 200
and slide in the sheets to bake for  at least about  and hour and a half
then...just quickly flip all the slices over with your  fingers..no need for
forks or spatulas...believe me we have tried every way  to make this
easy...the reason you need to flip them is to let them dry more on  both
sides... to dry and cook the other side. Take them out when  you think they
are "done" or ..when you have the time...if you forget and they  get
BLACK..you know what..they dogs still just adore them...it is best though
when they still have COLOR and are ..just slightly leathery. When we first
started making these we would put the oven on "Warm" and put  them in ..in
the evening and take them out in the morning. You will find  the best way
for your lifestyle.  I've discovered that it only takes about 3 hours total
to do them...and  that they do not have to be baked till they are black as
we read in a  recipe lol...You can just take them out when it is convenient
for you...  You can not wreck them. The dogs will adore them. Really.  If
you wish to wash the Yams first with water and a brush..that is  good..but
you know..we have found that the Yams are really clean and we now just wipe
them off with a damp towel and they really are so easy to make.... we  have
been feeding them to the dogs for 6 months like this and there is no
problem...(I used to PEEL the Yams before baking but when "Banjo and Henry
GOBBLED up the pile of peelings...that were on the cutting board when I left
once to answer the door...that's when I stopped peeling the Yams....why make
it  harder than you have to?!)  The trick is to just try em!  Maybe our dogs
are "hard up for treets" with so many dogs in the house..maybe it IS an
orphanage this Rescue  House but we have tried giving them to  our Friends
Pampered  Loved  dogs and they LOVE them too.