[Dailydrool] Children's books about death

Debbie Wynn Debbie.Wynn at comcast.net
Thu Mar 19 17:11:11 PDT 2009

One excellent book is "I'll Always Love You" by Hans Wilhelm.  The Booklist
review says "the narrator is a young boy who loves Elfie - 'the best dog in
the whole world'.One day Elfie does not wake up.  The family grieves, and
the boy, who has always told Elfie how much he loves her, finds solace in
the fact.  Though someone offers the boy a new pet, he knows he is not ready
for it.  But when he is, he will always remember to say, 'I love you."
Wilhelm's sweet message is an important one for children (as well as
adults!).  The pictures have a piquant charm of their own.

Another book is "Zoe's Goodbye" by Dr. Mary Schlangen (a veterinarian).  The
review is:  "When a young girl is faced with losing her special dog, Zoe,
she embarks on a magical adventure with her companion.  She discovers that
only by saying good-bye to her dog can she free Zoe to do what she could no
longer do in life.  The imagery and message of this story will reach into
the hearts and souls of animals lovers of all ages."

Debbie, Rosie, Chubby, Daisy & Zoe