[Dailydrool] Allergy shots

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 08:35:26 PDT 2009

I thought I'd better add a short addendum to what I wrote earlier
about our late, great Jane Basset's allergy shots.

We didn't see an immediate improvement when we first started giving
them to her. In fact, her allergy symptoms initially worsened, and we
had to resort to a couple of days of prednisone to calm down the
reaction. Her Purdue dermatologist told us it's quite normal for this
to happen in the beginning because it takes several months to fine-
tune the amounts of the allergens in the serum to each dog's
individual body chemistry. Under his supervision, we tinkered with
the amounts we gave Jane during her first year on the shots. After
about six months, though, we got it all sorted out so that Jane was
no longer reacting to the serum.

Elizabeth