[Dailydrool] Ask.com spot about dogs eating chocolate

Sue Stevens suestevens at woh.rr.com
Sat Mar 21 17:00:44 PDT 2009

Has anyone seen this? It's a tv spot for Ask.com that shows a kid
feeding chocolate syrup to a dog. he older brother asks "hey
Einstein, can dogs eat chocolate?" The younger brother says something
to the effect of "look at him." The dog is greedily slurping up every
drop. I can just see unknowing kids trying this at home and ending up
with very sick dogs, perhaps dead dogs. Will they realize the answer
to that question "can dogs eat chocolate" is "NO"??? Not necessarily.
Will they go to Ask.com to find out? Not necessarily. That part of
the spot is very very short. The "funny" scene with the dog slurping
up the chocolate syrup is the bulk of the spot. I really think this
ad is poorly conceived and may have disastrous effects. I have
emailed the Chief Communications officer with Ask.com to complain
about the spot to complain. I have asked that they remove the spot. I
certainly will not be using Ask.com any time soon - I urge you to do
the same.  If you're interested in complaining as well, the person I
emailed was Mary Osako, chief commmunications  officer for Ask.com.
Her email is posted on the website and is mary.osako at ask.com.

Sue N. Stevens
and Onslow (just say "no" to chocolate!)