[Dailydrool] Haylee Update

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 02:42:57 PDT 2009

Happy Friday all!

I wanted to update you on little Haylee's progress since her leg amputation on Monday.  She is home with Linda Lartigue and has been mobile since about an hour and a half after surgery.  I expected her to have to relearn how to balance herself with one less leg but the removal of the leg has not hindered her ability to move around - in fact unless you knew she had a leg removed, you wouldn't be able to tell.  This leads me to believe that she wasn't putting any weight on that bum leg all along and had been just using 3 legs while the 4th leg was just getting in her way and causing her pain.  So no doubt this surgery was a blessing for her.  Many times in rescue we can't undo what was done to our houndies before we got them, the best we can do it fix what we can and move forward.

The normally expected swelling at the amputation site has not occurred and so we couldn't ask for a better outcome.  Well, I guess we can ask for a forever home for little Haylee....

Thanks everyone for your support.  Thanks especially to Linda Lartigue for being the champion of Haylee's cause and care, to Rebecca Lando for the work she did to raise funds for Haylee's surgery, to the vets and staff at Friendship Veterinary Hospital and to all of you that offered your financial and emotional support.

Drool to all in need and Hugs to those who have lost a loved one.

Pam Farris
Basset Rescue of Florida, Inc.
www.BassetRescueFlorida.com