[Dailydrool] PLEASE READ - MESSAGE FROM MOD SQUAD RE: FUNDRAISING POSTS

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Tue Mar 31 17:33:18 PDT 2009

The Moderators find themselves in a difficult situation.  We are all very
supportive of fundraising for rescue organizations and try to cooperate in
any way we can.  We also feel an obligation to try to provide a safe
community and protect the Droolers from possible scamming.  Subscription to
the Daily Drool Digest is open to the public.  There is no screening
process.  Therefore, there is always the possibility that someone could post
that they are having a fundraiser of some sort, whether it is selling goods
directly to buyers or donating a portion of their profits, to a rescue
organization.  We have no way of monitoring these activities, of assuring
the buyers get what they are paying for, or that the monies are actually
going to a legitimate rescue organization.   We also see posts from people
who solicit donations or conduct fundraising to pay for their own vet bills.
It seems that we are getting more and more of these posts and that is
concerning, especially when the requests come from new Droolers or those who
have never posted before.   We have, and will continue, to allow an initial
announcement and a final reminder for special circumstance fundraisers, set
up through separate websites, that Droolers post for fellow Droolers who
have extraordinary events or needs related to their bassets.  We will
continue to reject posts from individuals soliciting funds for their own use
and needs.  We recently have rejected several posts from persons who have
said they will donate a percentage (from 10% and up) to a rescue
organization from sales from their commercial business.  We are aware that
this is a gray area in the Drool Rules (which prohibits commercial postings)
and we don't want the Daily Drool Digest to decline into a fundraising and
Craig's List type of format that focuses only on fundraising efforts.

After much discussion, the Moderators have decided to let these posts go
through and simply say LET THE BUYER OR DONATOR BEWARE.  We have no control
over merchandise delivery, actual donations made to rescues, or accuracy of
information provided in these posts.  The posts should be limited to a
single announcement and a reminder announcement just before the end of the
fundraising effort.  If complaints are made to us and/or we discover that
the sales report/donation report and donation has not been made to the
rescue designated, the person posting the fundraiser will be De-Drooled.  We
continue to encourage Droolers to post items for auction on Hounds Bay with
beneficiary of the auction specified, whether rescue or personal.  Initial
and final announcements of items posted on Hounds Bay are most welcome.
Hounds Bay is located on the Daily Drool website which is owned and operated
by Nancy Gallagher.  Nancy sets the rules for the website and Hounds Bay.

Drool on!  -- The Moderators