[Dailydrool] Buford--home, heart and something really weird

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Sun May 3 07:37:48 PDT 2009

Well, the boy came home yesterday and while he's MUCH better we're
not entirely out of the woods yet.

He is taking 10mg of Enalapril to assist with the high blood pressure
and the help his heart not work as hard.  The coughing is gone, but
he still has some periodic gasping/gagging.  Nothing like it was
during the week however.

But here's where it gets weird and scary.  While eating dinner, and
mean WHILE eating, he bloated right before my eyes.  It was so bad
that he stopped eating.  I raced over, yanked the bowl away and
realized that he was trying to burp but couldn't.  So I started
rubbing and lightly patting his sides (like you would a baby) to help
him.  At first nothing and he was SO bloated that he couldn't breathe
and started shaking.  I truly thought he was going to either pass out
or explode and I'm not exaggerating about the exploding part.
FINALLY he belched so loud the it must have been heard down the street!

For the next hour he belched and passed gas on and off but eventually
calmed down.

Breakfast:  same thing but to a lesser degree.  I gave him a Gas-X
pill before he started to eat and helped him burp while he ate and
afterwards.  I denied him water for a full 2 hours after breakfast.

The weird part:  he swallows tons of air ONLY while eating food, not
drinking water.

So, big questions for the vet tomorrow morning (always on a weekend
folks, ALWAYS!) because this is scary stuff.  I plan to break his
dinner and breakfast up into 4 meals instead of two hoping that less
at once will be easier on him.

I still think there is something else in play here.  Yes we
discovered the start of early heart disease and have him medicated
for that----but this is too weird/odd to be JUST from heart problems.

If anyone has ever experienced anything like this I would love to
hear from you!

---heidi, buford, della and guinness the cat