[Dailydrool] Coyotes and Bassets etc.

don/jan cook tudor2 at shaw.ca
Mon May 4 15:55:15 PDT 2009

Coyotes can get in any fence they want.
We had a coyote attack our old blind mini Daxie when I let the dogs
out in the yard about 7 one morning a few yrs ago. There was a
terrible cry (from the Daxie) and then a huge barking roar from the
Basset. I think Stuart, the Basset, startled the coyote, so he dropped
the old girl, but he didn't leave the yard. Urban coyotes are very
bold, and we had to get a broom and go swinging at him before he
actually left. I covered the Daxie with a towel (she first tried to
bite me because she was blind and terrified) and took her to the vet.
Punctured lung, three broken ribs. Because she was 14, we just
bandaged her up and gave her lots of antibiotics and painkillers. Be
darned if she didn't recover and live another year!
But now, when I walk Stuart, every once in awhile he does that
aggressive bark when he is sniffing something, and I just know a
coyote has passed that way.
Neighbours had cats disappear, and a couple of largish dogs, on leash,
were bitten on the thighs by coyotes.
So be watchful.
Jan