[Dailydrool] Utah Coyote

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Mon May 4 17:42:53 PDT 2009

Last winter, I was walking the dogs on a REALLY cold day in an equestrian park/ kind of wilderness area trail.  Let everyone off leash, as my fingers were
frozen. Bosley was lagging behind, smelling stuff. I was walking with my other 2 ahead of me, calling him.
Bos, come ON.  I turned around and a HUGE coyote (Bosley weighs 75 lbs and this guy was just as big with longer legs) is circling Bosley. Bosley is smelling a bush. The other two keep walking, thank heavens. If they had turned around and seen the coyote, they would have gone after him. I start walking back toward Bosley and the coyote (my friend asked why didn't I run, but I was so afraid they would go after him, I just didn't) just stared at me. I got within 10 feet of the coyote before he reluctantly WALKED slowly away. He was clearly not very afraid of me. Strangely, Bosley never saw him (seems weird when he was that close to him). And thank heavens, the other two kept meandering down the trail. Chester would have wanted to be friends and Sasha would have tried to beat the heck out of him. I felt sorry for the starving coyote and left some turkey dogs on the trail the next day. I still can't believe how big that guy was, and how unafraid of me. I feel very lucky to have come out of that with nobody injured or eaten. I am sure a puppy wouldn't have a chance. There have been a lot of cats in that area that disappeared. Bev, I somehow thought you lived in Chicago, so the wildlife surroundings were a bit of a surprise. I don't know if coyotes can get over a fence or not, but I wouldn't be for taking any chances there.

Marilyn Briggs