[Dailydrool] Mini "bloating" help!!

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 06:55:39 PDT 2009

Over the last month or so my three-year-old houndette, Elphaba, has been
"mini-bloating" with increasing frequency.  It seems to happen most often
after she gulps down water.  We're not talking after a long hot walk here or
something, we are talking about having been sitting around doing nothing,
getting up and gulping down water, and then starting a bloat-like process.

First she starts to hiccup, slow and steady like.  Her belly doesn't expand,
so it's not full-fledged bloat, but she does begin  Hoovering (to borrow a
term from Bev), going about the house trying to eat grass but actually
filling her stomach with bits of paper, string, napkins, and anything else
that's in her reach.  Then she eventually vomits it all up.

When I was still working I noticed she was leaving piles of debris-filled
vomit around more often.  Now that I'm home during the day I know why.  This
is happening two to three times a week at this point.  I'm getting really
concerned that if I'm not here to help she's going to go into full bloat,
but I can hardly be around every time she drinks water.

When I am here and I see it happen, I stuff some liquid simethecone down her
throat and then put her on her leash and tie her down so she can't Hoover.
I try to burp her like a baby but it doesn't seem to help much.  Eventually,
usually after 20 min to half an hour, she starts burping, and within no time
she is cured.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can stop this from happening?  I'm starting
to worry that when (Cross your fingers that it's soon!) I find a job and am
not home during the day, she's going to end up in major distress.

Thanks,
Brenda- momslave to Copper and Elphaba