[Dailydrool] The continuing saga of Harley and his vagrant girlfriend, Ruby

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 17:55:04 PDT 2009

I thought I had finished raising my children. Not so. Now I have bassets.

Some of you are familiar through the Drool of the story of one of my hounds, Harley, and his vagrant chihuahua girlfriend, Ruby, who slips under our fence each morning, through our doggie door, and joins our basset pack for the day. And occasionally does the same thing in the middle of the night. Ruby's own family leaves her on the loose most of the time.

Harley loves Ruby, and they wrestle, chase around the yard, and nap together. Ruby is the energetic companion for Harley that our other hound, Bo the couch potato, is not. Bo, tolerates Ruby but finds her constant energy and frequent yipping annoying. Bo bellows at Harley and Ruby if their frolicking gets too close to him.

My husband really dislikes Ruby. He points out that we got bassets because he can't stand "little yippy dogs". He calls Ruby "rat-face". Ruby senses Bill's dislike and dislikes him back. Until last night Bill has tolerated Ruby because Harley likes her so much.

This truce seems to have blown up last night. We were watching TV with all three dogs when Bill got up to get a glass of water. Ruby started yipping at him, and he picked her up to put her outside the front door. So she bit him--a nasty, double puncture, bruised bite to his hand.

So today I have spent "chihuahua-proofing" our fence-line with boulders and building a little "chihuahua"-gate for the main hole under the gate through which Ruby has egress. We have agreed that Ruby may spend the day here while Bill is at work, but when he comes home, I must put Ruby outside and lower the chihuahua gate and Ruby is banished until the next morning after Bill leaves for work. We will see how this works. Sometimes life seems so complicated.

Don't forget that 100% of the proceeds of the fabric portrait of Elder Clara, Miss Angela, Llewis, Nigel, and Brudder Elwood on Hound's bay goes to the basset rescue of the high bidder's choice. I don't know if this would count towards anyone's pledges if they are the high bidder--this is all a little beyond me--but seems possible. Aloha, Val, Bo, Harley (and Ruby) (and Lynx ATB)