[Dailydrool] FW: coyotes and basset weight gain

Susan Kitz smkitz at hotmail.com
Wed May 6 22:14:42 PDT 2009

From: smkitz at hotmail.com
To: daildrool at dailydrool.org
Subject: coyotes and wight gain
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 01:05:58 -0400

We get coyotes off and on.  They follow the little creek, smart of them as they don't have to deal with the traffic of the nearby highway.  We lost a very nice white cat and the neighbors reported missing small dogs at the same time.  ALL of my cats who prefer going outdoors, even the part feral one came inside and stayed in for the better part of a month.   They mix with dogs and form nasty packs.  The farmers will shoot them when they pass through their farms.  My son came home late and came in the house in the back,  As he got to the gate he saw 2 glowing eye and it soofed and suddenly ther was a lot of glowing eyes so he jumped the fence and hustled inside.  They are being chased out of some of their territory.  The local unniversity campus has a lot of space and large herds of deer,  I hope that will leep them occupied.  There has been so much building in our community, much of which has stopped with the economic turndown, but it still has sent a lot of  citters on the move.                                             Buttercup is a bit on the hefty side for a basset.  She weighs 72 lbs and has very short legs.  She also has hip dysplasia.  She was the biggest puppy in the litter and I mean she was a good deal bigger.  She also had the waggiest tail.  We had her on proplan.  Our lovely lady is 2 and one-half and walks like an old dog.  She does love to go on walks but not hikes.  We are now giving her Hill diet from the vets.  She had been on it for a few weeks but I haven't seen much weight loss yet.  Too Soon?  Has anyone else had weight manament proplems and found a better brand?  After her inital puppy appetite she has become a litle fussy , she like a taste of real food incorporated in her meals,  I try to keep it chicken, beef,  turkey, or cheese and a small amount.  I get a disgusted look if there is just plain kibble.  Any suggestions will be of help, thanks Sue K, Mompeerson to Buttercup, Beau, and the kitties Loki, GW (Color pattern, no relation to  last prez),Jordy and Micky the messy cockateil.