[Dailydrool] Putting weight on a basset

Emily Weiss Dodd emily0608 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 13:04:54 PDT 2009

My husband agreed to adding a second basset to our pack (thanks to all who
responded with reasons why two is better than one!) and we met Beau, a 3
year old stray rescued from Kentucky, last weekend. He is totally submissive
to our Sally and Sally reluctantly shared her toys with him during his visit
to our house. We're having another playdate this weekend to seal the deal.
HOWEVER, Beau is quite a bit underweight, weighing in at around 45 pounds
(our Sally is tiny and she weighs 43 pounds). His foster mom mentioned that
he's been eating 4 cups of food a day but the weight really isn't budging.
So my question is, what's a healthy way to put weight on a basset and keep
him at a consistent weight? Should we adopt Beau, should I look into a more
calorie-dense food to pack on some pounds? Could the problem putting weight
on be because of an underlying medical problem? Or does he just need some
time?

Emily