[Dailydrool] nails ripped

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun May 10 05:57:58 PDT 2009

I am way behind, sorry everyone.
Nails that are torn part way off need to be cut off, soaked, dried, have a
topical anti-biotic and then be wrapped. If you think you can cut off a torn
nail without getting bitten, be my guest. Otherwise, you really really ought
to let a pro do it. Broken and torn nails REALLY HURT, and I would not try
cutting the nail off on ANY of my dogs without another person and a good
muzzle. And it is going to bleed like crazy if it isn't already.

So at home, have someone hold the dog's head or muzzle her (sorry all you
sweet houndies) with a piece of panty hose (wrap it around a couple of times
and tie it (make it tight) behind the ears. If the nail is dangling the best
thing to do at home is to rinse it off, dry it very very gently, pack the
nail with quik-stop, flour, corn starch, arrowroot,  and I do not know about
super-glue. It would probably work. Then, (if you have  used superglue
please wait till it is dry)(I wouldn't use it, frankly) wrap the foot
loosely with gauze and then Vet wrap until you can get the dog to a Vet. DO
NOT USE DUCT TAPE ON YOUR DOG'S SKIN.

Here are some good things to get from your Vet, the drugstore or Valley Vet
(or whatever it is called now):

A package of square gauze pads
A couple of rolls or stretchy gauze.
A couple of rolls of Vet wrap
1' and  2" adhesive tape
Quik-stop
Hemostats
blunt-nosed scissors
a small bottle of Betadine
a small bottle of isopropryl alcohol
Several Flagyl 500 mg in a vial
1 20cc syringe (no needle)
The emetic of your choice (peroxide, salt or ipecac--but be really careful
with Ipecac)
A box of Bendryl capsules

When I am traveling I carry a lot more than that but those are the basics
that I always have on hand. (And my Vet's home phone. Heh heh.)