[Dailydrool] Pumbaa ATB - Gotcha Day 11 May 2003

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 11 02:06:49 PDT 2009

Six years ago today Pumbaa came to live with us, and so began what I would say was real happiness, for us all.  Pumbaa was aged 7 and a half, and lived with a family about 50 miles away.  They were hoping to emigrate, and with his heart murmur felt he should be re-homed instead of making the journey.   Basset welfare rang us with his details and we went over to visit.  While the family (who were lovely) spoke to us about him, he remained in the kitchen, but arroooood furiously as he could hear visitors.  When he was let out, there was a flash of red and white and an impression of impossibly long ears, and he bounded from one person to the next.  I kissed his head and he jumped right up at me.  We left after about an hour to think it over, and all I kept thinking of was this little lad who was so happy and eager to please.  He came to live with us the following weekend, on Sunday 11 May 2003, and he settled down quickly in his new home.  He had
 a wonderful howl and sometimes when I came home I would hear a very gentle arroooooo from inside, which he would also do if we had a lie-in some mornings and he objected.   He was always early to bed too at night-time, and would stand in the lounge doorway where we were watching tv if it was late, and audibly hurrumph before going back to bed - obviously slightly put out that we were disturbing his much needed sleep.  He was much feistier than Morse, and as much as he loved his four legged friends fiercely and would often do flat basset while waiting for them on walks, he was just as fierce in his dislike for some other four leggers, and had several brawls.   We had the most wonderful just over 18 months with him until he was taken with cancer.  He didn't show any signs of being ill until the very last few days, so there was hardly any suffering - we are grateful for that.  We kept in regular contact with his previous family and they sent us
 some puppy pictures of him, which we treasured.  A few months before we lost him we took him on holiday to Cornwall, and in a picture we have of him running along the beach, he looks so happy we are convinced he is smiling.  So if you have time - here is an album of a lovely boy who took my heart and I still miss very badly even to this day - despite having my wonderful Morse whom I love just as dearly.  I am betting that today Pumbaa is running on that beach in Cornwall - it is a beautiful day today, too - run free, lovely Pumbaa - we feel you have never left us.

http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss191/cornishstumpy/Pumbaa/?albumview=slideshow

Your loving mum Becky and your brudder Morse xxxxx