[Dailydrool] Elwood ATB

KR1204 at aol.com KR1204 at aol.com
Mon May 11 08:51:12 PDT 2009

This morning at 10:30 EDT my sweet Ellybelly joined Spanky and Sonny ATB.
Also welcoming him are Buster, Rascal, Rufus and Snuggles.
Elwood was my first foster and of course I failed. I picked him up the
Friday after Thanksgiving 2001 and on the ride home, I looked at this funny
looking basset curled up on the front seat and told him if no one adopted him
by  Christmas, he would be my present that year. The first night he lay on
the floor  while Spanky and I sat on the sofa and when I patted the cushion
he got  right up. Three nights later, he came over and laid his chin on my
leg and I was  hooked. We made  it official on 1/1/2002. Elly was always a
quiet dog, no frantic barking and greeting me calmly at the  door. He  went to
TriState events, liked to take long strolls in  the woods stopping  to mark
everything, and snuggling at my feet on the bed. He endured multiple
fosters with good manners but always kept to himself. A few years ago, he lost
an eye to glaucoma and 18 months later the other eye. Blindness didn't faze
him  at all. He bumped into things but knew how to find the back door and his
bowl.  In the  past couple of years, he spent most of his time sleeping
near me.  In my bedroom he has a bed, a  quilt and a comforter which he would
choose  and rearrange them until he was comfy.
At the vet today  he weighed 33 lbs down 12 since  March despite  the fact
that I had been feeding him extra. His heart was fine and  the vet could
find no masses but we both knew that some type of cancer had to be  inside
him. Rather than put him thru tests for treatment he would never survive  and I
 couldn't let him starve to death, I made the decision to say good  bye to
my buddyboy. I wrapped him in  a blanket and held him on my lap  while Dr.
Robyn eased him to the Bridge. My candle will be lit once more  tonight.
Kathy with Crackers and Loki
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585010x1201462743/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=May
Excfooter51109NO62)