[Dailydrool] Food aggression--just my opinion

Drew McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri May 15 09:32:13 PDT 2009

<<I can't help being a little gun shy right now whenever I have an owner
call
wanting to give up a dog and they use the word "aggressive" to describe the
dog.>>

Melissa:
I'm sure you've seen more aggressive dogs than I ever will, and I thoroughly
understand your attitude, because any kind of aggression is serious. I
appreciate the work you do with hounds, and I'm not trying to criticise, but
I'd like to speak up a bit here for hounds with food aggression. I'd just
like to say that not all of them are hopeless causes.

Our Belvedere came to us food aggressive. He'd been, as far as I could
guess, in about four homes before he came here. We figured out the problem
quickly and at first I was quite nervous about it. But, with time and
security, he's almost lost his aggression. Today, when I am doubtful about
his reaction (as when he has something in his mouth that I need to get out),
I simply make a trade for a really good treat. I feed him separately from
Jane and Abner, because he would easily attack Abner, and I'm not taking
chances. You can't be naive about the risks of having a food aggressive dog.
But, apart from my having to make sure Bel never gets the idea that Abner
got a treat and he didn't, it hasn't been a disaster. Bel's had "sound and
fury" events with Abner, but he's never bitten anyone, dog or human.

I'm sure many other dogs have much worse aggression than Bel. Our only food
aggressive foster introduced me to this fact when he went counter cruising.
I tried to stop him and got bitten twice--once after I had let him go.
Eventually he found a home with an extraordinarily dog-savvy person who
feeds him in his crate. It's not everyone who should own a food-aggressive
dog, especially in such serious cases. I also wish that when people give up
dogs with aggression that they would be completely honest about what they've
seen and any methods they've used to address the problem.

I'm not saying every food aggressive dog can be easily rehabilitated. Some
won't do trades and will exhibit other guarding behaviors. But it seemed
from the description on the Drool that this dog's people had done well on
it. Maybe their dog wasn't perfect, but I wonder if he would become the
problem you feared.

I get so angry when I see the "Animal Cops" program, and they kill a dog
because it shows some food aggression. Mild cases can be worked with, I
think. Such a dog should not go to a home where small children will be
around. But thankfully, there are some of us who do not have children or
grandchildren to endanger. And we are willing to be watchful at all times
when children are near and have food. In all his years, Bel has never so
much as threatened a small child. In fact, he likes them and even once
protected a child he thought was endangered.

Drew and I were not all that basset experienced when we started working with
Bel. I think the thing that worked best for us was supplying the security of
a good home. I hope the folks who wanted to turn in this dog do keep it.
Certainly getting passed around more will not help him. I'm so glad you are
trying to work with the family to make that happen. But if they do give him
up, perhaps someone can get more details and see if aggression is likely to
be an issue in another home. The ironic thing is that sometimes
food-aggressive dogs are very loving, apart from the food issue. Bel surely
is.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets