[Dailydrool] Mango's recovery

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Fri May 15 10:20:07 PDT 2009

Mango is feeling good and eating well. She had a sore day or two, but seems to be feeling much better. Last night she was trying to play with Kahuna ans I had to tell her it was a little soon for that kind of thing. She did start licking a bit at the sites last night, so I have her sock bra back on and made something similar for the back - that slides off so has cord suspenders tying it to her collar LOL. I'm going to Walmart to look at kids PJs - thinking maybe I can cut the middle out of some bottoms and maybe a drawstring waist to hold them up? I'll work on it. She can't really do an e-collar because it will irritate the shoulder incision - it comes up pretty high toward her neck. Wish me luck! Hmm - maybe crotchless tights? I'll figure something out!

The path report is back - another one of my dogs that has something strange and unusual.

So, it's NOT mast cell CA....the foot and the two on the hip are not cancerous, they are basically cysts. The shoulder mass was malignant - a tricho-something cancer. Basically a cancer of the hair follicle that was malignant. They recommend staging, mixed reports on chemo. We have already staged her so we know it's not metastatic and the path showed clear margins so we got it all. The surgeon and I felt no chemo for her at this time for many reasons - cost, we know we got it all, and with her fairly debiitated state just not something she needs.

The other cysts were classified as various non-cancerous tricho -somethings as well. A couple of different types that depend on where in the follicle they originate I guess. She has multiple other tiny cysts/lumps that they found as they shaved her and they checked a few of them with needle aspirates. Nothing to do for them now, but periodic exams to make sure no lymph nodes are popping up, and if any cysts enlarge and get nasty they would need to come off since she has a history of malignancy. But, all in all, not too bad and she should do well. She's just a lumpy girl!

Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time...
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl, Mango
Ace, Sage, Maya, Kirby