[Dailydrool] Molly's sagging breasts

JACQIE MARVICH oakrydgebh7 at msn.com
Fri May 22 23:28:11 PDT 2009

I've seen bassets post nursing who look like they will never dry up and their teats are dragging the ground especially the rear ones that are always the largest. Watch for signs of infection as others have stated. To help shrink the tissue, rub in campho phenique several times a day. Not only will it help soothe the soreness and inflammation, it will help shrink the tissue. I've also given them lecithin when I've had this situation going on. Several experienced breeders recommend doing thid and it works. She will dry off and her teats will shrink and shouldn't drag the ground once she's dried up. It may take a while though. They sure do look miserable. You may also want to put a sort of belly band around her tummy to help keep them from dragging. A childs t-shirt or even a snood would work depending on her size.

Hugs and drool to Molly from all the hooundettes here at Oakrydge Bassets. Miss DAzzle has recently nursed a litter and knows what your going through.

Jacqie Marvich
Oakrydge Bassets