[Dailydrool] Buford--not sure what to do

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Tue May 26 17:25:22 PDT 2009

Well I took the boy to see an internist today because his bloating/
swallowing/gasping is still present.  It's improved but it is clear
he is not "right."

The internist did a barium swallow today and took a series of x-rays
showing the barium (in liquid form, mixed with canned food and mixed
with dry food) move through his esophagus, into and out of his
stomach.  The hope was to see a change in the positioning of his
stomach.  And we all know that nothing "bad" ever happens when you're
at the vet.

We're left with pretty much one option:  surgery.  Tack down his
stomach and then do a some exploratory via an endoscopy (taking a
biopsy of his intestines) as well as looking for pyloroplexy (too
small of an opening between stomach and intestines) and fixing that
if necessary.  The reason for stomach tacking (gastopexy) is because
when he was there on May 2nd the xrays showed him all gassy and also
showed his stomach in a "not normal" position.  The suspicion is that
Buford has been experiencing a 90 degree stomach twist most of his
life and for whatever reason it has always flipped back into place.
If this is true, his ligaments are getting weaker--hence his more
often cases of bloat.  (He's had bloat episodes most of his life.)

So, I'm at my wits end.  I want to do the right thing; I don't him to
to struggle the way he has been lately; if this is the answer the
little bugger might just finally be fixed; if they find other things
while inside I have to resign myself the to extreme possibility of
"letting him go" while he's under anesthesia.  Last night we went for
a 45 minute walk--he trotted almost the whole way; he's constantly
playing with Della and even with Guinness.  He's so full of life that
this whole thing is killing me.

If anyone has any thoughts please fire them this way as I need as
much information as I can before I make this decision.

Drool to all in need and snooters to all.

--heidi
buford, della and guinness the cat