[Dailydrool] Bassets on Animal Planet June 6, 2009

Basset911 at aol.com Basset911 at aol.com
Wed May 27 09:23:01 PDT 2009

Hi all!

Well, here it comes.
The Hounds debut on Animal Planet. The episode is entitled  Look Alike's,
and it is scheduled to air June 6, 2009; check  your local listings for the
show Groomer Has it.  Don't  get AP? Not to worry, there are several sites
that run the broadcast after it  airs, so do some searching and you'll find
them.

While we don't know what the final edit will show, we can share with you
some fun moments of the shoot -
We were referred by several other rescue groups who had been approached by
the show's producers. The concept originally was that the contestants were
to  walk into a room and pick out a dog they had worked with from over 90
dogs.  They actually had thought Dalmatians would be a great concept, and I
think it would have been.  If you could have 90+ Dalmatians in one room
together.  At every turn folks kept referring them to us, until finally we  got
the call.

In the filming pre walk, concepts of what the contest would be were tossed
around.  The major point of concern was evidently HOW to tell one hound
from another, and prove it on TV.  After some producer banter I had to pipe
in "Well, they ARE micro chipped." And that was all it took - the challenge
rolled into basic obedience training and microchip awareness.

All the way up until 2 weeks before the event, we were sitting at 100
hounds, then a large adoption weekend occurred and we dropped to below 80 -
EEK!!  A tragedy! Daphneyland did not have ENOUGH hounds! Oh noooo!   Not to
worry folks, we put out a call fro volunteer handlers and their hounds to
come and film for the day, and joining into the rescue pack were some show
hounds and their foodslaves.  Club Members, Adoptive Homes as well as some
newcomers took center stage. Joining in were Golden Empire Basset Rescue,
Basset  Hound Rescue of Southern California and of course all the Daphneyland and
BaRNI  crew.

For weeks prior to the filming the hounds were ran off leash on the
"Release Call".  Having a pack of 100 hounds follow direction from me on a  golf
cart with a bullhorn - and the hounds did great.  5 acres of running  hounds,
happy and carefree - wanting only to please and no treat rewards - just
for the pleasure of praise and love.  Those training afternoons are
wonderful.  This summer we will be having Ranch Wrangler Days - where you  can join
in to show us your stuff in pack management and training. We stacked  the
pack heavy with Tri's to make it harder on the contestants.

The weekend before the shoot was Bath Day.  Headed up by Jill Beniak,  Jill
got us -2- booster baths, if you have never worked with one, let me tell
you - every dog owner should own one.  AMAZING!! _www.boosterbath.com_
(http://www.boosterbath.com/)   These bathing  tubs have come in handy for Bath
Day, Big Sunday as well as every weekend's  volunteer bath giving.  Truly a
wonderful product.  For our AP Bath  Day - it rained.  90 hounds for baths and
lots of rain on Novembers  landscape of dryness - mud and bathed hounds -
oh yea!

Opening up early to feed the hounds before mass chaos began, we had
grumbles and yawns and volunteers
Volunteers began the days cleaning routines early, and the hounds who are
used to being out and about all day, had to stay mostly inside if they were
not  running with the pack.
American Humane sent -2- reps for the filming, we were approved.
The AP Groomer Has It staff vet arrived - and volunteers can tell you the
story about his DQ of Maxx for drooling and 25 volunteers reactions to his
line  of: "Why is this hound Drooling?"
And then the show producers threw a surprise at us.
Victoria Stillwell arrived for the shoot.
Aerial cranes came on site
CATERING SET UP RIGHT OUTSIDE THE RELEASE GATE
Grips, cameramen, sound, set design set up what they thought of as a dog
park for the elimination round, we thought it looked nothing like a dog park
-  lol.
And then it was time.
-5- hounds got to be called as contestant hounds, I picked 5 tri's - and
two of them were twins.
Their camera work began as volunteers and the pack got antsy up top.
the 5 hounds returned to the pack - and then.....
Release the Hounds.
And the rest is hopefully caught on tape.

Bodie working Stillwell for treats and pinning a groomer to the ground who
didn't want to give him up.
My Barnaby - oh how I can't talk about that.
Ashleigh continuing to look for me, no matter where I was hiding off
camera.
Odin - always wanting to please.
Bruno - my Bruno.  labeled a vicious dog by the shelter system, Bruno  ran
with the pack and was a dream all day - a shining example of  rehabilitation.
Joel - who decided it was more fun to sleep in the dog house than to
interact with some groomer people.
Rufus who thought directing was fun and bugged the poor director instead of
 interacting with the groomers.
90 plus hounds - on camera.  One location.  Catering truck still  standing.
Stillwell's velvet jacket may never be the same.

No way can they get all the great moments into the episode, it will be
interesting to see what they do decide to use......  we are all hoping it's
not only entertaining but gets microchipping awareness out there as well - we
shall see.  I am fairly sure any rescuers out there will be yelling along
with me... HEY! That's not how it works!  LOL.  No, the art department  set
up a computer screen as the scanner screen was too small to read on  camera.
 So don't go trying to find any computer microchipping programs -  it's
Hollywood.

Things here at Daphneyland have been very busy of late - we've been at or
just below 100 hounds pretty much non stop for a couple of months, this week
 thus far 2 adoptions have occurred, and we have at least 1 hound heading
in.  I'm behind on updates as volunteerism has been slow - I will get the
Big Sunday, HoeDown and Puppy Updates out hopefully sometime this week.

The countdown is on - the Hounds 15 minutes of fame coming up -

Dawn and all of us hounds and humans
Daphneyland Basset Rescue & Rehabilitation Center
_www.barniatdaphneyland.org_ (http://www.barniatdaphneyland.org/)
661 269-2682

**************Dinner Made Easy Newsletter - Simple Meal Ideas for Your
Family. Sign Up Now!