[Dailydrool] Buford, OEBE Garbagemeister Extraordinaire--surgery tomorrow (Friday)

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Thu May 28 07:33:08 PDT 2009

Things are not getting better and we may be facing the last option in
assisting my boy in having a sense of a normal life. Tomorrow morning
I take my baby to the Veterinary Specialty Center in Delaware where
he will undergo some pretty invasive surgery. They are going to tack
his stomach down (gastropexy), do a surgical exploratory, do an
endoscopy and scope his esophagus as well as taking biopsies of his
intestines. Here's why:

While the bloat symptom of filling with gas has remained under
control he is still clearly experiencing bloating on a regular basis,
meaning, after each meal. He paces, he licks the air, he
hypersalivates, and he is very uncomfortable for 3-4 hours after
breakfast and dinner. The suspicion is that his stomach has been
doing a 90 degree twist most, if not all, of his life. And he is now
at the point where it has become more and more difficult for his body
to unflip his stomach back into a normal position.

**IF** this is indeed the problem (for there is no real way to prove
the suspicion unless the internist was to catch an actual twist/flip
on an xray) then tacking his stomach may just solve his digestive
problems.  If this does not solve it....I can't even type the words.

--heidi, buford, della and guinness the cat