[Dailydrool] More Good Dog Bad Dog

Pat Dill padill at starband.net
Thu May 28 17:16:39 PDT 2009

Couldn't agree more with Pam's observation about the "international basset
hound plot concerning behavior and visiting."  Bailey has his aggressive
moments only with me and only at home.  When we are in tiny hotel rooms in
Ocean City with wall-to-wall bassets and people and food everywhere, he's a
pawfect gentleman.  When strangers reach down to pet him, he's happy, but if
I look at him the wrong way I get a warning snarl.  And it isn't like I'm
not alpha, so to speak.  I feed him, I medicate him, I give him his treats,
his bed, his everything.

And then there was Benji, who was such a happy basset boy that he wagged his
tail with joy when he was all alone in an empty room.  He loved children and
strangers and puppies and all dogs.  But he sent Carol and I to the
emergency room with severe bites not once, not twice, but THREE (count 'em,
THREE) times.

Truth be told, I'd rather the bad behavior happen at home, where I can
control the situation, than in public where there are outside conditions
that are often beyond my control.

But it can be mystifying....

Pat
Proud to be loved by Rosie (I'd rather cut off my right paw than hurt my
mommy), Bailey (Well I almost never draw blood), Sampson (Bite mama who
feeds me??? Fuggedaboudit!) and Lucy (What's"agreshun?"  Can we play ball?)