[Dailydrool] At-home aggression

Drew McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri May 29 04:51:51 PDT 2009

<< Bailey has his aggressive moments only with me and only at home.>>

Oh, Pat, you don't know how good that line made me feel. I'm not the only
one with this problem! Abner has only ever bitten me here at home.
Admittedly, he was just post-surgery, but he still snaps and growls at me,
which makes me very leary. Since I'm the only one who puts myself in his
way, I guess it's not surprising that I'm at the receiving end of his
aggression. Drew never medicates him or deals with anything else that would
cause Abs to snap.

Most of the time, this boy is sweet, sweet, sweet for me, as he is for
everyone else. But if I just try to change his leash on a day when he
suddenly doesn't want it done, it's another matter. I'm beginning to think I
unknowingly do something that triggers his aggression. Perhaps I somehow
remind him of  his painful time at the vet's. But who can figure? If he goes
to PetsMart for a spa day, he's fine with them. The vet outright told me
this isn't an aggressive dog--he rolls over on his back for him. Is it just
me?

I told the behaviorist that I think he holds his back surgery against me.
No, he says, dogs don't think that way. But I'm not fully convinced. Heck,
I'd hold it against me, if I were a dog. That surgery was painful!

Meanwhile, I can do anything I like with Bel and Jane, and I trained Jane as
a puppy. It's not that I'm a complete wuss, but Abner's snapping can really
get to me.
Pam, with all the Dashing Bassets