[Dailydrool] Buford--1st update

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Fri May 29 07:18:04 PDT 2009

I dropped my boy off at 7:30 this morning...they couldn't tell me the
surgeon's schedule.  I almost freaked out.
At 8:30 the phone rang and it was the surgeon---I almost had a heart
attack!  Why was he calling so soon???
Fortunately the call was a GOOD thing.  He wanted to talk to me and
discuss in detail everything he was going to do.  He had not called
earlier this week because he wanted to first meet and exam Buford.
One of the first things he asked me was if he was always so happy and
energetic!  He added that he thought was a very sweet boy.  This made
me feel good and that my boy was in good hands.

Surgery is set for first thing after the lunch hour.  He's going to
do the gastopexy--and like everyone else, he hopes this will solve
the major problems.  He made sure I understood that even after this
Buford could still bloat but that at least I would not have to worry
about a full blown GVD (twist).  Heck, the boy has lived on Gas-X for
10.5 years, if that's all it will take after all this, I'm over it!
He also said they'll take tissue samples of the stomach and bowel,
check for other possible problems yet unseen by films (tumors lurking
in remote areas of his belly, etc.), send everything out for biopsies
just in case there is another underlying cause contributing to
everything.

He is **NOT** going to do the pyloroplasty!  He concurs with both the
internist and our regular vet that the "outflow process" is not a
problem  He said that it might be something that needs to be done
down the road 6 months to a year from now.

That's all for now----thank yous to EVERYONE who has emailed me or
posted.  I've tried to get back to each of you--I apologize if I've
missed anyone.  There is once again not doubt in my mind that the
folks on the DD are simply the best!

--heidi (and the gang)