[Dailydrool] New visitors to the Bo and Harley basset sanctuary

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri May 29 11:51:00 PDT 2009

The past three mornings we have had new visitors to the "sneak-under-the-fence to Bo and Harley's yard" club.
 Ruby is temporarily away since she is in heat (I return her to her downstairs neighbor the moment she shows up here. That neighbor and I have had a talk with Ruby's owners, who agree that they should keep her in but say she "escapes" all the time (AARGH!); so second other neighbor is keeping Ruby in that neighbor's apartment if Ruby shows up here until Ruby's people show up again. It was this second neighbor who added the leash to Ruby to make her easier to catch. After Ruby is out of heat, she can hang out here again).
But I digress--In Ruby's absence, a wild mother turkey is bringing her brood of seven little chicks over here each morning. The hen turkey stands on the other side of our fence and the chicks crawl under and grub for worms in our yard for an hour or so. Bo and Harley do not bother the chicks--I guess they do not have Nigel's and Conley's hunting instincts--and their basset presence deters neighborhood cats from joining the party. Clever mother turkey. After about an hour, the hen and her chicks move up the street to I am not sure where. There are many wild turkeys in our neighborhood, but broods of tiny chicks do not usually last long given the presence of many cats and dogs as well. This mother turkey seems to have found "safe zones" so far. There are seven chicks. If mama can keep up her good work until the chicks are larger, they may well survive.