[Dailydrool] Buppies

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 18 17:15:06 PST 2009

Buppies are wonderful.  Buppies are nice and snuggly and cute and soft and snuffly. BBBBWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! I don't know if I could do it again.  Our first three bassets were puppies. They were wonderful.

Not.  At least the first one wasn't in the beginning.  Sassy was our first basset and puppy.  She was adorable.  I had always wanted a basset.  DH wanted a cocker.  I guess I won.  We lived in the UK and drove a long way just to see the puppies.  Some were spoken for and then we saw Sass.  The Breeder said "YOU DO NOT WANT THE RUNT.  SHE WILL BE TROUBLE."  We didn't listen.  And she was.  But in a good way.  She was only 8 weeks old but since we had come a long way we took her home that day.  Boy were we dumb.  We stopped to get a paper or something.  I got out of the car and was back in less than 5 minutes.  She threw up all over the front seat.

We had a little room perfect for her.  Nothing in it but linoleum floor.  We put her to bed.  She whined.  She screeched.  She cried.  She bawled.  All night.  We didn't have kids at the time.  She did it the next night so I finally brought her up to our room, box and all.  Her box had stuffies, a blanket, something that ticked.  And her.  I put the box next to the bed.  She whined and screeched and bawled and so on.  I put my hand in the box.  She curled up and went to sleep touching me.  My arm went to sleep in about 5 minutes.  If I moved, she bellowed.  I finally gave in and put her in the bed with me.  She curled up next to my tummy and we never looked back.  She would also go to the foot of the bed to pee.  Not a lovely feeling if your foot lands in it.

She was a bad eater.  Imagine a basset that does not like to eat.  She was one.  We had her a month and were slowly going out of our minds.  We cooked for this girl.  She either would not eat or would throw it up.  The vet said she needed competition.  We knew where the competition lived.  We went back and got the sis the DH did not want because she was almost all black and white.  He wanted a brown dog.  Sheesh.  We got Precious Posie aka Daisy May.  She was twice the size of Sass.  She ate everything.  Sass didn't.  They finally worked it out.  Sass became the dominant girl and they were the best of buds for over 12 years.

Thanks to those two we met the town crazy lady.  She came out and met Sass and then told us we had kittens and called the RSPCA.  We searched the attics and found no kitties and they told us she was a frequent caller.  One day our neighbors went for a walk with two collies and ended up with two bassets too.  they wormed their way out of the bottom of the gate and went along.  Another day, Daisy went into the shop next door and went to the meat counter and did her flat bottom thing.  They thought she was really cute.  Another day they chewed all the buds off of the peony bush.  Peony buds are poisonous to dogs.  They didn't eat them.  They were playing snooter ball with them.  Another afternoon, right after the landlady told us that we had very expensive wallpaper in the kitchen, Daisy ate some of it.  Or tried to.  We caught her with it in her mouth and got it out, toothmarks and all and slapped it back on the wall.  It was absolutely the ugliest wallpaper I have ever seen. We even had turquoise cabinets to go with it.  Sassy learned early to climb the stairs.  We didn't know any better.  Daisy didn't have a clue.  She could go up but could not get down.  We watched as Sassy pulled her down one step at a time by the ear.  Daisy left us a nice present at the top of the stairs.

I really don't know if I could do a puppy again but we had so much fun with them.  The boys did too.  When they were born, the girls took them in stride and put up with a lot.  Sassy would play along.  Daisy would go hide when she got tired of it all.

What I wouldn't give to hold my girls one more time.  And Sherlock too.  He was our other puppy.  A different kettle of fish.

I love the crew we have now. But i sure do miss the others.  Have fun with your buppy.

Julie with Ninja, Marley, Maggie and Shelby

Also Sassy, Daisy, Sherlock and Sunny ATB

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/