[Dailydrool] "talking"

Margaret Honnold machonnold at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 06:26:11 PST 2009

I have laughed as I read about the whining Bassets.  Hollyberry is my "talker." As I type this she is standing next to me asking/whining to get on the bed (she can't get up alone yet). She whines at the cat, she whines to go out, she whines at Noah when she wants to play, she whines just to hear herself talk when she is lonesome and her alligator mouth conversation sounds like a symphony of Bassets. I have never had such an expressive dog! She has an entire repertoire of whines. At bedtime she goes into her "monkey hour" routine where she flops and whines and growls and bites all by herself.  It lasts about 2 minutes then she drops in place and is sound asleep.  She reminds me of a toddler who is overly tired. Yesterday I took time to adjust and restart our antique kitchen clock and now she is whining every time it chimes...and barks and cocks her head...you get the idea.

Through it all Big Brudder Noah just looks at her like she is nuts.  He doesn't talk at all.  He is all self-controlled, purposeful action....jumps on the bed by himself, waits by the back door to go out, waits for me to uncrate him in the morning, waits to be fed, helps himself to the toys in their basket (and occasionally the basket itself, yum), climbs into my lap without help, pushes out his own dining room chairs to climb on the table and eat cat food...oh wait, that's another topic.

I love the personality that each one of my Bassets exhibits, they are truly all the entertainment this grandma needs.

Thanksgiving Snoorters to all. Drool to all who need it and hugs for those who have lost theirfurbuds...
Maggie
Hollyberry (whatcha mean I noisey? I not noisey, I not whiney. I not barkie. I not..I not..I)
Noah (no comment)