[Dailydrool] ADVICE NEEDED

Jan Chamberlain jacypenny at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 1 07:04:42 PST 2009

A friend of mine got a 6 month old basset, 2 months ago. He is sweet. But the problem is that he is so afraid of people. She was in the process of picking out a boy to adopt from a rescue when her brother showed up with Barney. No matter what shes tried, he runs the other way. He runs when called or when shown treats, he won't let you close enough & he won't come close to you .   We sort of think that maybe he was hurt or abused at the breeders ( she didn't want anything to do with a breeder but her brother went and got this pup anyway.)  She can't house break him because she can't get close enough to put a leash on him. He will use the doggie door only to go out & play with the other dog that lives there. ( It's a tiny ankle bitter type dog.)  But goes potty in the house. The little dog barks all the time & won't let anyone pet him either but he will come when called. I think the actions of this little dog could be part of the problem. Her
 brother laid flat on a bed & laid very still & believe it or not Barney actually got up on the bed & laid next to him. Any comments/suggestions for her?
She sure can use your help.
Thanks drooler's
Jan Chamberlain         jacypenny at yahoo.com
Miss Penny A.T.B.