[Dailydrool] Perching bassets and the alpha bitch

KR1204 at aol.com KR1204 at aol.com
Sun Nov 1 09:29:52 PST 2009

I think I wrote before that a few days after Jordan decided she was
sleeping in my bed with me, she kicked Loki out. But only at night, he was
allowed on during the day if I took a nap. I have no idea how she accomplished
this and she will sometimes just look at him and he runs whining out of the
room. I have never seen her make a move, show a tooth or make a sound but he
will suddenly freeze and scoot out of the room.
With the cooler weather, Jordan has relented and Loki is now allowed to
sleep in the bed as long as he is there first. If not, he doesn't even dare
come  up the stairs.
This weekend we are having another display of who is the boss. Both Loki
and Jordan love to perch on the arm of the  sofa where they can monitor
almost all downstairs activity. But they don't fit at the same time  so Jordan
will stare Loki off; Loki will run barking to the front door etc  as they
trade places. This weekend Jordan has discovered that her crate which is  a few
feet away is a whole inch higher than the sofa arm. Since I store the
spare quilts and blankets on top for the dogs, she now has a loftier perch and
looks regally at Loki. She is also now level with the pass through from the
kitchen so she can better monitor me eating or reading the paper.
How do they figure these things out?
Kathy with Crackers (I just ignore her), Loki (happy to be back in bed) and
 Jordan (Look deeply into my eyes.....)