[Dailydrool] Perching bassets and the alpha bitch

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Nov 2 06:56:44 PST 2009

Kathy:
Recently, while trying to deal with Abner's aggression, I learned about that
basset stare. He used to give it to me when I did something he didn't
like--like putting his leash on. It is a sign of dominance. I'm sure Loki is
aware of that and is backing off early. Crackers, who ignores Jordan, is
probably doing the right thing. When I ignore Abner and do not look straight
into his eyes (which dogs interpret as an aggressive stance), nothing
happens. It's the best way, I think, to deal with a somewhat aggressive dog.
Now if you could only give Loki that information!
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets