[Dailydrool] I Could Use A Bit Of Advice

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Mon Nov 2 11:11:42 PST 2009

Oh Mary Ann  how you must have had the Luck of the Irish on your side
with your other Basset Angel.  Stella is displaying what I consider normal
"bassety" behavior in my house.  Anything with cardboard is considered a
delicacy here.  Though "No, Stop and Drop" commands will help, they only
work when you catch them in the act.  This is why Bazzle's nickname is now
"NOOOOOOO".   There is nothing more fun for my 3 younger basset kids then
creating snow decorations made out of tissues (regular or bathroom type) and
then hiding out so slaves will get the full effect of the "SURPRISE!".

Though my youngest are getting much smarter as they now grab the desirable item
and run out the dog door as fast as they can.  It is always a surprise (gasp) to see what
they have absconded with as I walk out the back door.  Shreds of newspaper,
cardboard, recycling can contents will be strewn from the just outside their door,
trailing down the ramp and then throughout the yard.  Then of course there is the lovely
forest decorations they strew all over the living room and hallway from chewing up
firewood logs to create the rustic log cabin decor.  (I hear that this is the latest
decorating craze in some basset homes.)   Why even the gentile Nelly Belle will assist
with the forest decorations from time to time though she much prefers the wicker look.

The only remedy I have found is too place these much coveted items out of reach
as well as out of sight.  Unfortunately for us, if these babies can see it, smell it..... then they will somehow
find a way to grasp it.  Remember the ingenuity of a basset is nothing to be taken
for granted.  I do believe they may be the driving force behind the old saying,
"If there is a will, there is a way".

Belly rubs to Stella,
Karen and The Dog House Gang (You meke we pwoud Stella!  Youz go girl!)