[Dailydrool] Masticatory Myosistis

laumag at mts.net laumag at mts.net
Mon Nov 2 17:07:17 PST 2009

Re:
> Just wondering if anyone out there has any knowledge of a disease called
Masticatory Myositis.? My 9 month old Basset has just been diagnosed with
this.? When he opens his mouth wide, it gets stuck and it very hard to close.?
He cries because it is so painful.? We had a special blood test done and it
came back negative (as the vet said it might) so then we had to have a muscle
biopsy done and it was positive for the disease.? The disease also causes
muscle atrophy in the head.? It just makes his head look a little bit more bony
than normal.? Otherwise, he acts like a normal puppy.? The only time I think he
is in pain is when his mouth is actually in the open position. ??He has started
steroid treatment (Prednisone) so I hope this helps. He still eats fine.? Of
course he won?t chew on his chew toys anymore (or me!) but he still gets
rambunctious and runs around like a crazy dog when he wants to play.? Just
wondering if anyone else out there has had any experience with this type of disease and how they dealt with it.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend's late Basset suffered from this affliction. He also had Immune Mediated Thrombopathia, in conjunction with his masticatory myosistis. He was diagnosed with both illnesses at age 7. He was prescribed steroids, antibiotics, diet supplements, Vet prescription dog food and pain pills. I Basset sat him two months before he died. He was almost 8 years old when he dropped dead in his yard one night. It was heartbreaking and according to his Vet was inherited.

Sorry for the bad news.

Laurie, Zack and Sky of Canada