[Dailydrool] Masticatory myositis

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Mon Nov 2 18:30:36 PST 2009

You asked <<
Just wondering if anyone
else out there
 has had any experience with this type of disease and how they dealt with it.
  >>  Our hounds or other dogs have never had this but some friends of ours had a shepherd mix with suffered from it as a very young dog.  The poor thing couldn't open her mouth to eat and the concern is because the muscle is painful and inflamed that lack of use will cause atrophy which can affect feeding, etc.
Our friends' vet suggested several things; first chiropractic treatment along with accupuncture, along with anti-inflammatories and pain medication.  I think both of the alternative treatments allowed them to do gentle stretching of her jaw over a period of time to allow for maximum opening and function.  This took many weeks of consistent and somewhat expensive treatment but the result was worth it; she regained function and so far, eight years later, has had no additional problems.

Hope this helps.

Sandi, Mamaslave to the NJ crew